You don't need a crockpot to slow-cook this lean beef stew. Prepare the ingredients at lunch time, put them in a low-heat oven and leave the pot cooking until dinner time. This works well for me on busy days, knowing that dinner is all but ready when I come home with the kids. Cook it for between four hours and six hours, it doesn't really matter.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
Total Time: 5 hours, 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup flour mixed with 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp sage, freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 3/4 pound lean stewing beef
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 16-ounce bag baby carrots
- 1 8-ounce pack mushrooms, halved
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Dredge beef in flour mix. Brown beef in a large Dutch oven. Transfer to a plate when browned. Add onions to the pot, and sauté until softened. Add carrots, mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Return beef to pot. Add canned tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and red wine. Cover and cook in the oven for 4-6 hours.
Per Serving: Calories 324, Calories from Fat 68, Total Fat 7.6g (sat 1.8g), Cholesterol 51mg, Sodium 385mg, Carbohydrate 38.7g, Fiber 7.3g, Protein 25.3