Comfort foods needn't be high fat or high calorie. Soup is a great example. You can make delicious, nutritious, and satisfying soups such as this Lentil and Black Bean soup, which is packed full of low-fat, high-fiber goodness. If you choose to use vegetable broth, this makes a great vegetarian lunch.
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed and picked through
- 2 15-ounce cans reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups fat-free, low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
In a large pot, heat oil on medium heat. Sauté onions, celery, and garlic until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle cumin and chili powder, cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add lentils, black beans, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 25 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
Per Serving: Calories 127, Calories from Fat 14, Total Fat 1.6g (sat 0.1g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 503mg, Carbohydrate 22.2g, Fiber 7.1g, Protein 6g