Enjoy this rich and satisfying low-fat cod and lentils supper with some whole grain bread to mop up the juices. Feel free to substitute another white fish for the cod. Halibut is a good option, though quite expensive. Tilapia is a cheaper alternative.
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup, roughly chopped onion
- 1 cup lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 pounds cod fillets cut into 4 pieces
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped parsley
In a large skillet, heat oil on medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic until fragrant and softened. Add lentils, followed by tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20-25 minutes, until lentils are beginning to soften. Add fish and parsley, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes, until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Per Serving: Calories 358, Calories from Fat 36, Total Fat 4g (sat 0.5g), Cholesterol 53mg, Sodium 260mg, Carbohydrate 39.1g, Fiber 17.4g, Protein 41.4g