Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Yield: Serves 8
- 1 pound day-old Italian loaf, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups fat-free half and half
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- Dash salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup sliced leeks
- 8 ounce pack sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup fresh, chopped parsley
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Place bread cubes in a large bowl. Combine fat-free half and half, eggs, chicken broth and seasonings in a quart pitcher or bowl. Pour liquid over bread cubes. Stir to coat the bread. Set aside to allow liquid to soak in.
In a large skillet, heat oil on medium. Add leeks, chopped asparagus and sliced mushrooms. Sauté for 3-4 minutes. Turn heat to low and cover for 2 minutes.
Uncover, and stir in chopped parsley.
Fold asparagus, leeks and mushrooms into bread mixture, then transfer to prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with shredded cheese if using, and bake for 35-40 minutes.
Per Serving (with cheese): Calories 270, Calories from Fat 50, Total Fat 5.6g, (sat 1.5g), Cholesterol 56mg, Sodium 461mg, Carbohydrate 41.8g, Fiber 3.8g, Protein 13.2g
Per Serving (without cheese): Calories 256, Calories from Fat 45, Total Fat 3.3g (sat 0.9g), Cholesterol 54mg, Sodium 411mg, Carbohydrate 41.6g, Fiber 3.8g, Protein 11.2g