Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 stick of celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 pound 99 percent fat-free ground turkey
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce, no salt added
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 tbsp fat-free sour cream or yogurt
- 4 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro (optional)
Ladle into bowls. Add a dollop of fat-free plain Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream, plus some fresh chopped cilantro if you have it.
Per Serving: Calories 298, Calories from Fat 51, Total Fat 5.7g (sat 0.6g), Cholesterol 35mg, Sodium 440mg, Carbohydrate 32.9g, Fiber 10.2g, Protein 28.8g
Notes and Tips:
You can substitute lean ground chicken or extra-lean ground beef for the turkey. Lean ground turkey rather than 99 percent fat-free turkey is less lean (about the equivalent of extra-lean ground beef), but more flavorful.
If you want to add a little more heat, add a finely chopped chipotle chile with a little (i.e., a teaspoon) adobo sauce.
Canned fire-roasted tomatoes are delicious. I often use these instead of plain canned tomatoes.
Feel free to use pinto beans or kidney beans instead of black beans, or use a variety. Indeed, you can flesh out the chili by adding an extra can of beans.
I sometimes add a can of drained sweet corn, which makes a nice addition.