This sausage and lentils dish makes a delicious and hearty supper. Lean chicken sausage keeps the fat count down, and lentils add extra protein and a healthy dose of fiber. If you need to eat gluten free, choose a brand of broth that meets the requirement.
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 pound lean Italian-style chicken sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup lentils, picked through
Heat oil in large skillet. Sauté onions and garlic until softened. Brown sausage meat until no longer pink. Add mushrooms, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in canned tomatoes, broth and lentils. Simmer for 25-35 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook for 5 more minutes, until lentils are tender.
Per Serving: Calories 346, Calories from Fat 58, Total Fat 6.6g (sat 1.3g), Cholesterol 70mg, Sodium 39g, Fiber 19.4g, Protein 33g