Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dates
For the topping:
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners
In a large bowl, and using a large balloon whisk, combine all purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
Add milk, oil, vanilla and eggs to the mixture, and stir until just moist.
Carefully fold in chopped apple and dates.
Spoon batter into muffin cups.
Sprinkle a pinch of brown sugar and cinnamon mix on top of each cup.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until tops of muffins spring back when pressed gently.
Transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool.
Makes 12 muffins
Per Muffin: Calories 194, Calories from Fat 50, Total Fat 5.5g (sat 0.6g), Cholesterol 35mg, Sodium 244mg, Carbohydrate 31.8g, Fiber 2.4g, Protein 4.3g
Low Fat Baking Tips:
- Carefully spoon flour into measuring cups and level with the back of a knife, rather than scooping the measuring cup into the flour and packing the cup solid, otherwise the ratio of dry ingredients to wet will be wrong.
- You can use applesauce instead of canola oil if you prefer.
- Fat-free buttermilk works well in these muffins instead of regular nonfat milk. Simply add a half tsp of baking soda, in addition to the baking powder, if you use it.
- To cut cholesterol, use one whole egg and two egg whites instead of two whole eggs, or use the equivalent in liquid egg substitute.